This summer 2012 Harvard’s Division of Medical Sciences will offer the Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program (SHURP) from Sunday, June 3 to Saturday, August 11. This is a ten-week summer research program for college students in under-represented groups within the sciences, and is offered for students who are:
- currently-enrolled undergraduates considering careers in biological or biomedical research sciences,
- who have already had at least one summer (or equivalent term-time) of experience in a research laboratory,
- who have taken at least one upper-level biology course that includes molecular biology, and
- are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- The deadline to apply is February 1, 2012.
SHURP is one of the summer research programs participating in the Summer Research Early Identification Program of the Leadership Alliance, a consortium of 33 colleges and universities dedicated to improving the participation of historically underrepresented students in graduate education programs.
Emphasis is on matching students with interests as much as possible. The 2012 summer research opportunities will be available in a variety of biological and biomedical sciences including (but not limited to):
- cellular and developmental biology
- cell cycle regulation
- cardiac and cardio-pulmonary functions and pathology
- studies of blood cells
- cancer biology
- molecular biology and genetics
- neuroscience, receptor structure and functions
- transmembrane signaling mechanisms
- study of clotting mechanisms
More information, including stipends, housing, faculty research interests and application materials can be found here. Application deadline for SHURP 2012 will be February 1, 2012.
Answers to many common questions about SHURP can be found here. If you have further questions, please email SHURP@hms.harvard.edu to contact either:
- Sheila Thomas, PhD, Assistant Dean of Diversity and Minority Affairs, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and Faculty Director, Diversity Programs, Division of Medical Sciences (phone: 617-432-1342), or
- Deborah Milstein, SHURP Staff Assistant (phone: 617-432-4980)
Still have questions? Send an email or call at 617-432-4980.